Learn more about price differences between brand and generic drugs
Frequently Asked Questions
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
Dapsone is an anti-infective medicine that fights bacteria.
Dapsone is used to treat dermatitis herpetiformis (a skin condition) and leprosy.
Dapsone may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
You should not use dapsone if you are allergic to it.
To make sure dapsone is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- a genetic enzyme deficiency called glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency;
- methemoglobin reductase deficiency (hemoglobin M);
- liver disease;
- heart disease; or
- lung disease.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether dapsone will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
Dapsone can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while using this medicine.
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Dapsone may be only part of a complete program of treatment that may also include a special diet. Follow the diet plan created for you by your doctor or nutrition counselor. Get familiar with the list of foods you must avoid to help control your condition.
Your doctor will need to check your progress while you are using dapsone.
Store at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Overdose symptoms may vomiting, feeling restless or excited, and a pale or blue-colored appearance.
Avoid exposure to sunlight or tanning beds. Dapsone can make you sunburn more easily. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outdoors.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- worsening or no improvement in your symptoms;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- numbness or tingling in your hands or feet;
- unusual thoughts or behavior;
- new or worsening cough, fever, trouble breathing;
- swelling, rapid weight gain, little or no urinating;
- signs of abnormal blood cell counts--sudden weakness or ill feeling, fever, chills, sore throat, mouth sores, red or swollen gums, trouble swallowing, pale skin, easy bruising, purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- pancreas problems--severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;
- an autoimmune disorder--joint pain or swelling with fever, headaches, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, and butterfly-shaped skin rash on your cheeks and nose that worsens in sunlight; or
- severe skin reaction--fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Common side effects may include:
- stomach pain, nausea, vomiting;
- dizziness or spinning sensation;
- blurred vision, ringing in your ears; or
- sleep problems (insomnia).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Other drugs may interact with dapsone, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use now and any medicine you start or stop using.
Your pharmacist can provide more information about dapsone.
|Generic Examples||Supplied As||Strength|
|Dapsone||tablet||100 mg25 mg|